The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award
We are pleased to announce The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award, for a promising Woman, Non-binary, Gender Non-Conforming writer with a strong original voice, whose career is poised to move to the next level. It is our aim that this $5000 unrestricted cash prize will propel the writer forward in their craft and career.
Applicants must have written at least two completed feature film screenplays and be a qualifying paid member of PANO (one year of membership is included in submission fee for non-members).**
**For non-members, your submission fee includes a year of qualifying membership to PANO. You will be sent a discount code to redeem your membership and instructions on how to join after applying.
Announcing the Winners of The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award!
Thank you to everyone who shared their work with us. Keep telling your stories. The world needs them!
The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award Finalists
Presenting Our Screenwiting Finalists:
Pairs to the Floor
Made in Heaven
Important Info & Dates
- Submissions will be accepted through February 15, 2023 for non-members, February 28th for current members.
- 3 Winners will be announced on April 1, 2023.
- Weather and safety permitting, we will host the Winners at an awards event in NYC in May 2023.
- All selections are the decision of the judging committee and are final.
- We don’t accept any projects that promote hate or excessive violence.
- Please read the full Rules & Terms below for more info on eligibility and Award terms. By submitting your application, you agree to follow the rules and the terms and conditions.
Awards & Prizes
GRAND PRIZE/1ST PRIZE (1 Winner)
One Grand Prize Winner will receive a $5,000 Unrestricted Cash Award along with two of Marilyn Horowitz’s New York University textbooks: The 4 Magic Questions and How to Write A Screenplay in 10 Weeks. The Grand Prize Winner shall also receive a copy of How To Sell Your Screenplay in 30 Days written with PANO board member, Paula Landry ($100 value). The Grand Prize Winner will receive one hour of coaching with Marilyn Horowitz ($500 value) and one hour of coaching with Paula Landry ($300 value).
2ND PRIZE (1 Winner)
One Second Prize Winner will receive two of Marilyn Horowitz’s New York University textbooks: The 4 Magic Questions and How to Write A Screenplay in 10 Weeks. The 2nd Prize Winner shall also receive a copy of How To Sell Your Screenplay in 30 Days written with PANO board member, Paula Landry ($100 value). The 2nd Prize Winner will receive one hour of coaching with Marilyn Horowitz ($500 value) and one hour of coaching with Paula Landry ($300 value)
3RD PRIZE (1 Winner)
One Third Prize Winner will receive two of Marilyn Horowitz’s New York University textbooks: The 4 Magic Questions and How to Write A Screenplay in 10 Weeks, as well as a copy of How To Sell Your Screenplay in 30 Days written with PANO board member, Paula Landry ($100 value).
Rules & Eligibility
- Applicant must be a paid member of PANO in good standing with an active qualifying Filmmaker or Veteran membership. If you’re not yet a paid member, included in the entry fee is one year of qualifying Filmmaker membership. Details on how to redeem your membership will be emailed to you after your submission.
- Existing PANO members – please click here for your waiver code to submit. If you are currently a free Follower member, please upgrade your membership to a qualifying Filmmaker or Veteran tier to apply.
- Applicant must apply with the same name that is listed on their PANO profile. Do not apply on behalf of someone else. Applicant must use their real name and contact information in the application.
- Applicant must identify as a woman, non-binary, or gender non-conforming writer.
- All winners are the decision of the PANO jury and are final.
- Marilyn Horowitz & PANO will in no way own or control your copyright or intellectual property.
- Applicant must submit their own original screenplay, and all screenplays must be copyrighted and also registered with the WGA.
- Screenplays submitted must be between 85 and 120 pages.
- Screenplays submitted must be proofread and in the industry-standard format as a PDF file.
- Applicant must have written at least two completed feature film screenplays.
- No co-writers or writing teams.
- Each eligible applicant may only submit one application.
- Any materials submitted will not be returned.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- All Winners agree to share the news of winning on their website and/or social media channels using PANO’s name and tagging @panonetwork or linking to the PANO website.
- The Grand Prize Winner will update Marilyn Horowitz & PANO after 6 months with one to two paragraphs on how the grant was spent, even if that use changed from what was on the application.
- Produced Scripts are ineligible.
- Projects/Scripts with any affiliation with a major studio, or having secured U.S. distribution or films in development, produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible.
- We will require the Winner to submit their email, phone number, mailing address, and bank information to disburse the cash grant. It is required by law for our records. If you cannot share that information, please do not apply.
- You – the Applicant – grant permission to PANO and Marilyn Horowitz to share your name, project title, images, synopsis and description, genre, excerpts and information about you, and your project on the PANO website, social media platforms, in our promotional, visual, digital, or print, marketing materials, grant applications and other materials in perpetuity throughout the known and unknown Universe.
By submitting your application, you agree to the above rules and the following terms & conditions.
Please send us an email or message us on the Network.
Terms & Conditions
This Agreement of Terms and Conditions is made effective upon you submitting your application and consists of the entire agreement between You (the “Applicant”) and Pano Network, Inc. (formerly NYC Women Filmmakers, Inc.) (“PANO”), concerning The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award (“Award”).
BY SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION YOU AGREE TO THE ABOVE RULES AND THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
1. Hold Harmless. Upon the performance of services by any of its employees, agents, invitees and/or volunteers for the purposes specified herein, the Applicant shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless PANO from any and all actual or alleged claims, demands, causes of action, liability, loss, damage and/or injury (to property or persons, including without limitation wrongful death), whether brought by an individual or other entity, or imposed by a court of law or by administrative action of any federal, state, or local governmental body or agency, arising out of or incident to any acts, omissions, negligence, or willful misconduct of Applicant, its personnel, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers in connection with or arising out of the Project or Applicant’s services. This indemnification applies to and includes, without limitation, the payment of all penalties, fines, judgments, awards, decrees, attorneys’ fees and related costs or expenses, and any reimbursements to PANO for all legal expenses and costs incurred by it.
2. Authority to Enter Agreement. Each Party warrants that the individuals who have signed this Agreement have the legal power, right, capacity and authority make this Agreement and bind each respective Party.
3. Amendment; Modification. No supplement, modification, or amendment of this Agreement shall be binding unless executed in writing and signed by both parties.
4. Waiver. No waiver of any default shall constitute a waiver of any other default or breach, whether of the same or other covenant or condition. No waiver, benefit, privilege, or service voluntarily given or performed by a Party shall give the other Party any contractual right by custom, estoppels or otherwise.
5. Ownership. The Applicant warrants, affirms and represents that they are the rightful owner of the copyright of the submission and owns and maintains the rights to their project and submitted materials. Applicant hereby grants PANO a non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license to use the project to show, publicly perform, display, use and/or stream the submission on the PANO and Marilyn Horowitz websites and on any affiliated websites, social media or promotional materials, as well as Applicant’s name and/or likeness for promotional purposes.
6. Content. Submissions may NOT include material that may be considered pornographic, obscene, hateful, violent or advertising a product or any commercial activity or that which would otherwise conflict with the mission of PANO. Applicant will be solely responsible for its own content and the consequences of submitting the content to this contest. Applicant also expressly affirms, represents, and warrants that they own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish, use, perform, display or otherwise submit all of the material in the product they submit for consideration in the PANO approval process. Applicant further expressly warrants, affirms and represents that the project submitted does not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, for which Applicant does not have the express and legal permission from the rightful owner of the material and that Applicant is otherwise legally entitled to use all of the material included in the submission for consideration in the The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award, and grants PANO all of the license rights granted herein.
7. Submission is electronic signature. The parties agree that by the act of submission of the application to this site, Applicant explicitly agrees that they are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions herein and will have the same effect as if the Applicant physically executed said document.
8. All Winners of the Award agree to share the news of winning the The Marilyn Horowitz / PANO Screenwriting Award and tag @panonetwork and @marilynhorowitz on their social accounts, and on their website, and to thank PANO and Marilyn Horowitz publicly in credits on any film resulting from the winning script, using the organization’s name and social handles.
Questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us.